- Who We Are
- Mayor And Council
- Contact Us
- Lost & Found
In Alberta, General Municipal Elections are conducted every four years under the provisions of the Local Authorities Election Act. The next general election is will be on Monday, October 18, 2021. Town of Gibbons residents will elect a Mayor and six Councillors.
The 2021 Nomination Package is a resource available for anyone who is considering to run in the Municipal Election. This package outlines responsibilities of the position, expected time commitment, remuneration, benefits, nomination forms as well as directions for properly completing your candidate registration application.
Important Notice for Candidates: Prior to accepting or using funds or donations for the purpose of campaigning, candidates are required to complete a Candidate Financial Information form and return it with your completed nomination form to the returning officer. All candidates must also file a Campaign Disclosure and Financial Statement even if no monies were received.
Candidates interested in running for the Municipal Election must submit a completed nomination form (Form 4) between January 1, 2021 and 12:00 Noon on Monday, September 20, 2021.
You are eligible to vote in the Municipal Election if you meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Are at least 18 years of age on or before Election Day, October 18, 2021
- Are a Canadian citizen
- Have resided in Alberta for at least six consecutive months immediately preceding Election Day
- Live in Gibbons on Election Day
- Have not already voted in the election, and
- You provide the required voter identification
Voter Identification Requirements
In order to vote in the upcoming municipal elections, voters will be required to provide proof of their name and home address. The following types of verification meet the standard provincial requirement for one piece of identification:
- Identification issued by a Canadian Government, whether federal, provincial or local, or an agency of that government, that contains a photograph of the elector and his or her name and current address
- Property Tax Notice
- Utility Bill: e.g. Telephone, water billing, electricity or gas
If you have any questions you may visit or contact:
Chris Pinault - Returning Officer, Gibbons Town Office
780-923-3331 or 780-719-8767
Municipal Election Candidate Training Sessions
The Society of Local Government Managers is holding training sessions for candidates who intend to run for municipal office in the 2021 General Municipal Elections. All prospective candidates are encouraged to take advantage of this free local government training.
Training dates for the 2021 Election have not been announced.